Wednesday, March 21, 2007

S.O.S......seriously!

Help. Please. I'm begging you. Put me out of my misery.

So, I went back to WalMart last week and bought the yarn for yet another baby blanket, this time for a girl. I think my predicament was mentioned here. I stood there in WalMart, staring at the yarn, begging it to tell me it wanted to come home with me. Nothing. I toyed with the idea of a different color scheme, still nothing. I like what I see in my head, I really do. I just can't find the same thing in physical form. I even hassled another customer for her opinion on the yarn I finally picked out. I showed her two different color combinations, one with a lighter green, the other with a darker green. She went with the lighter one because she said that she has carpet in her house the same color as the darker green and hates it. I went with her suggestion because at this point there was smoke billowing from my ears and my brain was utter mush.

I got the yarn home and started working away and I think I don't like it. I say that I think I don't like it because I go from kinda liking it, to liking it, to hating it completely and back again. So, you see, I need your help before I get any further along in the making.

Here are some pictures I managed to take this afternoon. The lighting is not cooperating today and so the colors are slightly off, but you'll still get the idea of how they work together. Ok, I need HONEST opinions here. Don't worry, you can't hurt my feelings at this point, I promise.

This is the yarn I picked out along with the progress so far...


Here is a close-up of the color working together...or not?



And finally, this is the offending color to me. I'm pleased with the cream and green..at least I think I am at this point. Also, I think this next picture best represents the actual shades of the colors.



So, do the colors work together? Do the colors put together seem cold? Would you wrap your baby up in something like this?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your post on Crochetville. I think the color combo works well together in my opinion. Nice job!!

MJ :-)

3/21/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Whatever colour the "offending colour" is, I think it is too dark. A lighter pink would look nicer to me.

3/21/2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

oops! But I would still wrap my baby in it because it is the thought that counts ;-)

3/21/2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

I like the combo fine, but if you want something different, how about a rose color instead of the purple or a tan in the simply soft.

Personally, it's cheery what you have, but if you don't like it now, you aren't going to like it later.

3/21/2007 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandi--The green and white look like simply soft. Is the pink too?

I think the colors look great together. Not particularly babyish, more like a blanket for a young girl. But I think I remember reading that's what you were going for. I say charge on!

I love the shell striping pattern too!

If you do go against my advice ( :) ) and change the pink, try a lavendar? That might do the trick.

3/21/2007 1:21 PM  
Blogger StarKnits said...

I think that the blanket is good they don't look cold but comforting.but i also think it depends on the mom, does she like the muted colors or bright colors? the pattern is great and the yarn soft i think it would be great for any baby.
personally i like bright colors for babies and dislike pastels. the muted colors can look grandma-ish. but again that is for me. for others they may like those country colors.

3/21/2007 1:36 PM  
Blogger Pink said...

I love the colours together but I wouldn't use them for a baby blanket, and I have to agree with Deneen, if you don't love 'em now you won't love 'em more as you work on the blanket. That's my 2cents worth.

3/21/2007 7:14 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I like it.

I especially like their Strawberry Shortcake origins and the fact that you are incorporating the color green into a baby blanket for a girl. That rocks! (Green is my favorite color).

I'm not a huge fan of pink either, but I do like the hot pink titles of your blog design (I'm totally dating myself here, but your blog set up reminds me a little of a Lite Bright. Did you ever play with that toy growing up?) I wouldn't go as far as to say your blog's design has a "pink theme" It's mostly black with white text and and highlights of colors - I like it anyway... and I think the pink that you choose for the blanket looks more like a raspberry color to me, which is probably why I don't hate it as much - but I think Strawberry Shortcake has some darker pink tones to her too. Or maybe it's pink, red, white and green - but that's adding another color to the mix and I don't know if you want to work with four. If you did the red without the pink it would be too Christmasy. My favorite Strawberry Shortcake character was always sour grapes and she was purple, raspberry, white and green --- kinda like your blanket is now.

I think if you do decide to finish up the blanket, and I think you should, it looks really cute so far --- you could sew in a little Strawberry Shortcake patch in one of the corners to tie all the colors together and reference the original inspiration.

Thanks for your comments on my blog - I am enjoying reading your blog these days and I am glad we "met".

You are my most recent "blog crush".

I loved the "Urinals and Crochet Hooks" post - and your post about Ophelia was great too.

I look forward to reading your future postings.

Take care,

3/22/2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I love the colors...really! Anyway, babies supposedly like nice brights and that certainly fits the bill I think. I say, go for it!

3/23/2007 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon