Friday, April 13, 2007

Seafoam Dreams

So the Spring issue of Interweave Crochet hit the stands a few days ago. I haven't yet had my hot little hands on a copy, but I have been drooling over the patterns online. One in particular really has my motor running. It's the Seafoam Vest designed by Chloe Nightingale ... I'm also in love with her name! ... Here's a picture along with the supply list for the project that came directly from the Interweave site....

Seafoam Vest
Chloe Nightingale

*Finished Size 32 (35, 39, 42, 46)" bust circumference. Vest shown measures 39".

*Yarn Rowan Summer Tweed (70% silk, 30% cotton; 118 yd [108 m]/13⁄4 oz [50 g]): #513 dew (pale green), 5 (5, 6, 7, 8) skeins. Yarn distributed by Westminster Fibers.

*Hook Size G/6 (4 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

*Notions Yarn needle; removable stitch markers (m).

*Gauge 13 sts and 16 rows = 4" in sc; 14 sts and 61?2 rows = 4" in dc-flo patt.

*Skill Level Easy.

This will be the first wearable...other than a scarf or hat...that I will make for myself...and damn it, I will make this! Unfortunately, .. and I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but .. I have never worked with a yarn of the same quality as the Rowan. I've been a mostly acrylic and some cheap kitchen cotton crocheter. Don't shoot and don't hate me because I'm cost-conscious. Ok, now that that skeleton is out of the closet, I need some input here.
While I love the yarn and selection of colors, I don't really want to spend the 60+ bucks to purchase and ship the Rowan. I would like to find a natural fiber yarn similar in weight and somewhat fuzzy so that the stitches aren't very noticeable, like in the picture above, and most importantly a little less expensive. Yarndex says that the Rowan is worsted, and that the gauge is 16, that much I think I understand. I just can't find a yarn I like instead. All the worsted yarns over at Knit Picks are either made from wool, or they're not "poofy" enough and look like they'll show too much stitch definition in the finished piece.

Here's a picture of the Rowan Summer Tweed...see how it's kind of "poofy". I know that is not a technical term, I think the correct term for the yarns texture is "slub".

So, any suggestions?



2 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTUMN-TWEED-SPACE-DYED-COTTON-RAYON-YARN_W0QQitemZ290048193427QQihZ019QQcategoryZ75569QQcmdZViewItem

This is a bit thinner, but you could adjust the gauge (I think this is the same seller, so check on both seller things, one sells cones one sells skeins)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cotton-spiral-flake-yarn-closeout-Emerald_W0QQitemZ170099657770QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36595QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

4/13/2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Cotton Ease is a nice worsted weight that would give you the gauge. I wish I could think of other cotton blends to help you out!

4/13/2007 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon