Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Hunt Is On!

While out running some errands, I asked Nathaniel to pick up some Stiffen Stuff for me. I use it a lot this time of year to stiffen the snowflakes I make. To my horror the stuff has been discontinued and there wasn't anything comparable available! I wasn't with him, but he's no dummy, and the lady working the crafts department was too helpful. She tried giving him a recipe for homemade stiffener and I think his eyes just glazed over and everything went over his head. The only ingredient he could recall was cornstarch. I'm sure I could find oodles of recipes online, but I'm rather partial to the premixed stuff at the store. Gah! Does anyone out there know of another product available that works just as well? I need something that will really "stiffen stuff"!

In crochet news, things are finally moving along smoothly with the blue baby blanket I've been working on. I don't have any recent progress pictures so you'll just have to trust me on this one. One thing that is helping is the fact that I've actually been wanting to crochet which is nice. To keep myself from getting burned out with the baby blanket I've been doing little side projects. I think I mentioned them before...? I made several snowflakes but since I don't have anything to stiffen them I haven't taken any pics. I did get a small tree skirt made. It's for a little tree I had on a table on our front porch. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I tried making one for the tree inside, but for some reason I kept goofing it up and finally just gave up on the whole thing.

IMG_0248IMG_0251
...images are clickable...

Santa was very good to me this year and I'm thinking of getting one of those round knitting looms with some of my Christmas money...they're Knifty...ha! I've been down the knitting with sticks route, but it just goes too slowly for my tastes. I guess I should be more patient and practice more, but I can't help my flaws! They're fairly cheap and look like fun. Anyone out there ever played with one? I've seen a few patterns online for these looms, not a lot, but enough to spark the imagination and to learn the basics. After that I'm sure it would be fairly easy to come up with my own. We'll see.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

I saw Joy had made some hats using the loom. I know you have to use bulky yarn or maybe even doubled up acrylic ww.

I've been thinking about getting a set, especially since I got a huge gift card for the craft store and really should just get em when they're $10 and get it over with. Maybe even Elena can try it.

The Stiffen stuff: I saw on Fiber Freaks someone uses 1/2 glue to 1/2 water, paints it on and then sops up the excess. Ask Kelly (CrochetKel), she just did a bunch of snowflakes.

12/28/2006 8:56 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I've always used a product called Stiffy
http://www.plaidonline.com/productDetail.asp?itemID=1550

Check out the about site. I've gotten it at JoAnns or Michaels.

12/28/2006 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half white glue, half water is what I use. Approximately. I don't actually measure the water, I just dump a small bottle of white glue into a container, throw about the same amount of water in, mix together, soak the snowflakes, blot the excess glue on paper towels. They come out good. I've never tried the recipe that involves cornstarch--it made me visualize ants :-p

12/28/2006 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon