Friday, October 20, 2006

Foodie Friday

I've been on a checking-out-cookbooks-from-the-library kick lately. The latest is from Reader's Digest called One Dish Meals The Easy Way (© 1991). Can you tell I'm somewhat of a lazy cook? I just hate the clean-up afterwards...especially after Nathaniel's been in the kitchen. Bless his heart, he's an excellent cook, but the mess he leaves in the kitchen, that I inevitably have to clean since he's only home a short time, just makes me detest making my own culinary messes. So, at any rate I've found myself interested in one-dish recipes and recipes for the crock pot. Which, by the way, I'm happy to say, my issue with Rival has finally been resolved. We have our replacement crock pot base, and have already enjoyed using it several times this year. Next on my to-make-in-the-crock-pot list is Deneen's recipe for Crock Pot Ribs. Ok, moving along...my offering for today's Foodie Friday comes from the Reader's Digest cookbook and it is very tasty...even Geof liked it!

Baked Eggs, Mexican Style

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes

1 cup canned refried beans
2 tablespoons water
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
5 scallions, including tops, chopped
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
4 large eggs
1/2 cup bottled or homemade salsa
4 flour tortillas, 7 1/2 to 8 inches in diameter
1 cup prepared or homemade guacamole
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Salsa and sour cream (optional toppings)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. mix the beans and water in a greased 8" x 8" x 2" or 11" x 7" x 2" baking pan then spread over the bottom. Mix the spinach and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions and spread on top of the beans. Top with the sour cream, then the cheese.
  2. Make 4 indentations in the surface and break an egg into each one. Spoon the salsa on top and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the eggs are set. Heat the tortillas for five minutes before serving.
  3. When the eggs are done, spoon 1/4 cup of guacamole on top then sprinkle the pepper and remaining scallions over all. Serve with the hot tortillas, the remaining guacamole and, if desired, additional salsa and sour cream. Serves 4.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! I plan to be adding more crock pot recipes all winter.

BTW, for the ribs, supposedly to make it more "kid friendly"-add ketchup to the barbecue sauce to make it less spicy-that's what I read someone recommended.

10/20/2006 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon