Friday, August 04, 2006

Foodie Friday

Yesterday I thought about fixing something from a recipe I have on hand, photographing it, and then posting it. Today is a different story because....it's too damn hot to cook!!! Never fear, I do have an offering for you, but no pretty pictures...

It's that time of year again...time for harvesting fresh veggies and fruits from the garden and putting them up for the coming year. Here is a recipe from my Grandmother. It's for canned dill pickles and I swear I could eat these things like candy. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as Geof and I do. When we get all of our cucumbers in I know I'll be making some for Nathaniel.

Old Time Dills

15 cups water
5 cups vinegar
1 cup salt
5 tablespoons sugar (optional)
2 garlic cloves
onion
sprig of dill

Put slice of onion in bottom of jar, a sprig or two of dill-cut up, 1-2 cloves of garlic-quartered, and fill with cucumbers that have been washed, top with another sprig of dill. In large pot add water, vinegar, salt, & sugar and bring to a boil. Carefully fill jars with brine, be sure to wipe the rims of the jars clean and place lids and bands on jars. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Let stand for 3-4 weeks for best flavor! Makes 9 quarts.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon