Friday, June 23, 2006

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Yesterday I was chatting with my neighbor and she said she had made some freezer jam the day before. I thought I knew about canning, but I had never heard of freezer jam and I told her so. She went to her house and brought back a jar and said just try it. It was still frozen so I let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Not 10 minutes ago I finished my second helping of the stuff on toast.....YUM!!! I did a search online for more recipes and found several that I think I'll try asap including the one I'm sharing for today's installation of Foodie Friday. Here is the recipe I'm guessing my neighbor used. This was some of the best homemade jam I've had in a loooooooooong time! ENJOY!!

Strawberry Freezer Jam

2 c. crushed strawberries
4 c. sugar
3/4 c. water
1 box Sure Jell fruit pectin

Thoroughly mix fruit and sugar in large bowl, let stand 10 minutes. Mix water and fruit pectin in small saucepan, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in fruit, continue stirring 3 minutes. Ladle quickly into 6 1 cup containers, cover at once with tight lids. Let stand overnight then store in freezer.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

6 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

I will have to try this-(ducking, as pig flies past me)

6/23/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

I tried freezer for the first just a few years ago and I was hooked too. I have made it very strawberry season since....yummy. I am glad you were able to enjoy a great jam and then were inspired by it. The receipe sounds great. I hope you enjoy making freezer jam just as much as I do.

6/23/2006 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made strawberry freezer jam for the first time this year. Then when the blueberries came in-I made more-next is peach I think-not sure but thing I might save those for ice cream. It is so easy and really does taste good-my dh says sounds and tastes like it would be good on ice cream-
I used Ball Fruit Jell Freezer Jam Pectin and no cooking at all involved -enjoy!

6/23/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger DixieRedHead said...

I make that stuff every summer. Just finished mine about a month ago. We make a years supply, shows how much hubby loves it. I use the less sugar version, and freeze it in glass jelly jars. Sounds like your hooked as well! Woohoo.

6/25/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Jewels said...

I LOVE freezer jam, better than regular homemade jam even. I've used the low sugar kind and it's perfect. You actually 'taste' the fruit taste, not just sugar gel. And versus store bought jam, um, yahhh, beats it hands down! Very easy to make too.

6/28/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

I didn't know that jam could be made in the freezer! I'm all over this now!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

6/30/2006 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon