Thursday, October 27, 2005

Free Is Cool

After following this link to receive free yarn and allowing 4-6 weeks for delievery, my postman brought a skein of this stuff...

...in this color it's called "Aqua Velvet". I like it pretty well. I crocheted a swatch holding the disco yarn with some cheapo worsted weight acrylic. What a total pain in the ass!! No wonder they're giving it away. I like looking at it and petting it but have no idea what I want to make with it.

My progress has become snail-paced on Geof's sweater. The pattern is from the February 2005 issue of Crochet World. The instructions for the sleeves was written way more difficult than necessary so I'm improvising. In fact I'm basically improvising the whole thing and just using the pattern as a guide. I've completed the front, back, and 1 1/4 sleeves. I hope to finish it this weekend. We'll see.

While we're on the subject of sweater patterns in Crochet World, I was just looking at the latest issue online for October 2005. I would really like to get my hands on a copy of it. I don't have a subscription to the magazing because the majority of patterns inside are not to my liking, to put it nicely. However this issue looks really good. Here are a few pics I found...

I think both look like they'd be fun to make. I really like the table runner. Guess I'll have to hit up the folks at Crochetville and see if someone has a copy they'd be willing to part with.

Guess that's all for now. Geof and I are heading down to visit my folks for about a week. We're leaving tomorrow so this may be the last post for a little while. Hope everyone has a hauntingly awesome Halloween!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

Blogger noricum said...

I got mine the other day too. It's pretty, but makes that icky "scrrnchy" sound like really bad acrylic. :P

10/27/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

It does make a particularly queer little noise, now that i think about it.

Anyway, of course I got my skein free too, but I will probably use it for some gaudy ass scarf or something for Elena. I found most of the fun fur shit is geared to children or old ladies. Seriously. Last year I did make scarves with the Moda Dea fun fur type stuff for my aunts and Elena's teachers, who loved them and ordered more-ugh is all I can say.

Anyway, I use it with a strand of ww yarn that kinda goes with it and a Q-hook, it's the only way it is workable!

Have a fun time at your mom and dad's, scan some pictures there and have a great Halloween!

10/27/2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

I got 2 skeins of the Disco yarn since my MIL lives down the street from me...she gave me hers. Still not sure what to do with mine either....I guess I'll make a skinny scarf. A wider fuzzy scarf just seems to look like something made from muppet hair....lol.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Very cool that you used to live in Rutherford County! :) The LYS for me is about a 20 minute drive to Columbus (between Spindale and Spartanburg, SC). There are also really cool yarn shops in Hendersonville, several in Asheville, and Spartanburg. And I think Hickory and Gastonia also have shops. There aren't any in Rutherford County....cry, cry, pout. I want to go yarn shopping in Asheville soooo bad, but I'm going to have to find another yarnie to go with me. I hate yarn shopping alone, or with someone who doesn't knit/crochet. It's just not as much fun. :))

11/08/2005 6:45 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I gave up crocheting the fuzzy stuff, and I just knit with it. It's too hard to find the stitches crocheting! I'm glad you've figured out something that works.

Speaking of Muppets, I posted something very similar to that a while back... http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/2005/05/whew.html There's some funny yarn out there!

11/11/2005 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon