Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sock It To Me!

Several months ago I purchased Crochet Socks! 16 Fun-To_stitch Patterns from Amazon. I really like this book, the instructions are easy to follow, the pictures are good, and the patterns are cool (ie I would actually wear them). My only complaint is that I can't figure out which directions I should follow for the size I need. I wish that part was a little more clear. Each pattern gives the dimensions for the finished sock, but not which dimensions fit a particular size foot. Does that make sense? Here's an example, you know how in patterns they are sometimes written something like this: sc in each of next 5 (5, 6, 6) sc. I understand that for the particular size I need, I would need to follow one of those four numbers. However, my problem with this book is that I'm having trouble figuring out which number to go with. I realize that the sizes get bigger as you read from left to right. This wouldn't be a problem for me if like, I said before, the dimensions of the finished product weren't presented at the beginning of the pattern like this: Cir of leg (unstretched) 7 1/4 (8, 8 1/2, 9)". How do I know which size would fit my big ol' foot correctly? I'd rather have the finished dimensions along with something like this: Women's shoe size 5 (6, 7, 8, 9. etc) Men's shoe size..... you get the idea. That would be much easier on my poor brain. I'm sure that if I go back and read the beginning of the book again the answer will pop out at me and scream "you moron!!" I just don't have the gusto at the moment to do that. I started several socks from this book but have had to frog everything for various reasons. My latest trouble has come from a pattern requiring slip stitches around the body of the sock, but then it says to switch to a bigger hook and I just can't get the bigger hook into the smaller hooks stitches without a lot of finessing. So my easy, relaxing little project has turned into something a little less so. I wanted something fairly mindless and easy before I dive into the Christmas gift afghans I've been planning. Maybe I'm thinking too much any way.

What a glorious mail day for me!! Not only were there ZERO bills in my mailbox, but there was a RAOK and some yarn!!! First off, the RAOK!! The sweetest little bunny rabbit hopped his way into my box all the way from Illinois!! No, not a real live one but a real live origami bunny. Thank you so much Maryellen, he is living happily beside my peace crane courtesy of Julia.

Holy crap I think we just had an earthquake!! I'll finish this post later.....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

Amanda-

First of all, http://members.aol.com/Sbaycgoa/patsock.html

Go there, check it out, easy to follow and tells ya how to measure your foot.

Worse comes to worse, ask Xantha (Jess) on C'ville. She's super nice and make a lot of socks!

8/25/2005 7:20 AM  
Blogger StarKnits said...

i've never crochet'd socks but i've knit them and usually when measureing them you measure around the ball of the foot and right above the ankle.. if they're the same great go with that # if not go inbetween. does that make sense? i hope it works out for ya! i'd like to try crocheting sock sometime...

8/25/2005 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon