Monday, August 15, 2005

My Q's Need Some A's...Care To Chime In?

As the title of this blog might suggest, to say that I love yarn would be an understatement. However, I am still embarrassingly ignorant about some things concerning yarn. So, I pose these questions to all you yarnies out there...


  • These are called hanks, no? {photo found here via them}
  • How does one go about getting yarn to twist on itself to create a hank?
  • Can one knit or crochet directly off a hank or does it have to be wound?

Ok, I think that is all I have for now. I will ask more questions as they come to me, and I'm sure they will. Thanks in advance for any help.

I was inspired by the idiosyncrasies meme to create my 100 list. You know, the 100 things about me list. I've been meaning to create one for awhile. I love reading other people's lists. I'm curious like that.....notice I didn't say nosy. Check mine out if you wish. The link is over there in the sidebar. You can't miss it.

Take care and have a great day/night!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

I am not sure about the twisting on itself part, but I think you just twist until tight then pull one end through? Beats me.

The hank really needs to be wound!

8/15/2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger Deneen said...

Yes, they are called hanks. You could use a niddy noddy to make wind into a circle and the use your index finger on each end and twist and it will stay twisted. It's definitely best to wind them or else they tangle all up.

8/16/2005 6:29 AM  
Blogger noricum said...

To twist a hank, put your finger through each end (as Deneen describes), and twist a bunch while holding your hands apart. Then bring your hands together, and the hank will wind up with itself in trying to relieve the stress you induced by twisting. To keep the hank that way, put one end through the hole where your finger is on the other end.

Yes, hanks definitely need winding.

8/16/2005 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page Rank Icon